Forget chicken noodle, this soup is the best for a rainy night or when you’re just not feeling that great. You can change it up – depending on what veggies are in season or what’s in your fridge. Here’s one of my fave ways to make this delicious soup.
- 1/2 medium carrot, cut into large chunks
- 1 medium rutabaga, cut into large chunks (a daikon would also work great)
- 1/2 red onion, cut in large chunks
- 5-7 small broccoli florets
- 1 handful of mushrooms (I used mixed exotic but any will do!)
- 3 large leaves of kale, cut into large chunks
- Ginger juice to taste (grate a 1” piece of ginger and squeeze out the juice with your fingers)
- Tamari to taste
- 1 pinch of chopped cilantro, as garnish
Bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a large pot. Add the carrot and rutabaga. Reduce the heat to a simmer and then add the red onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the broccoli, kale, and mushrooms and then the ginger juice and tamari. Simmer until the veggies are cooked through but still slightly firm, about 5 minutes. Add the cilantro as garnish and serve.