Vegan Cupcakes: Take One

Help us - we're sinking!

I’ll admit, I’m not always the best when it comes to baking but every now and then I like to give it a try and often surprise myself.  I was so excited to try my hand at baking vegan cupcakes so I could bring them to my little birthday celebration at the spa later today.  Only problem is – I’ve never made cupcakes before – and well, something went totally wrong.  So now, I have a ton of decent tasting frosting and no cupcakes to frost.

Once I get the actual cupcakes to look like cupcakes, I’ll post the recipe.  But in the meantime, does anyone have any good tips?  My cupcakes just collapsed in the pan.  I’m thinking more liquid or oil? Or is it because I used brown rice flour?

Any suggestions or advice you have would greatly help this large bowl of homemade vegan chocolate peanut butter frosting not go to waste.

This entry was posted in Desserts, Recipes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Vegan Cupcakes: Take One

1. LisaBE says:

In my vegan years, I NEVER successfuly made any cakes. For birthdays, I used (vegan) brownie mix and used Egg-Replacer. They were flat and guey, but that’s OK for brownies. I eventually had to “give in” and buy powdered egg whites and used it for cakes or cupcakes. Hope you find what works.

2. Laurie says:

I heard today in Dr Oz one could use chia seeds/powder instead of eggs in baked products. Look it up! dr oz.com

3. Karyn says:

We’ll probably need to know what recipe you used to be able to tell what about it may need to be changed. Did you JUST use brown rice flour for the flour, or that along with something else? Only knowing what is in this post, I’ve found that with gluten-free baking you have to have a good mixture of flours to starches; we usually do about a 2:1 ratio of gf flours to starches (tapioca, potato, etc.). Before we figured this out, a lot of our early recipes turned out very … dense. To put it nicely.

• Jamie says:

Ah, interesting. Thing is I’m not gluten-free – or rather, I don’t have an allergy or anything – but my friend is who I was sharing cupcakes with (or was going to be sharing cupcakes with) and I am vegan..so I was trying to accomplish so many things. I used ALL brown rice flour. No combination. I used….brown rice flour, turbinado sugar, baking powder, baking soda, pinch of salt, coconut oil, coconut milk, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar…

4. Connie says:

But sunken cupcakes are great as a frosting delivery vehicle – more room to add frosting! You could also “plug” out the middle, add filling, plug back up and frost.

Good luck! I’m not experienced enough yet with baking gf/vegan to figure it out myself.

• Jamie says:

I love your optimism! That’s what I should tell everyone – I did this on purpose so you could eat more delicious frosting with your cupcake! 🙂

5. jengi says:

‘m no longer vegan, but I still use this simple recipe for chocolate cupcakes. Mine comes out of a Vegetarian Times Cookbook, but it’s at home. This link is pretty much the same. The key in vegan is replicating the effects of the eggs to rise the cupcakes. the combination of vinegar and baking soda is what helps that in the vegan recipies. also if the are flat and mushy, you have likely added too much liquid.http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/vegan-chocolate-cake/detail.aspx

• Jamie says:

THANK YOU! Its funny, I didn’t use any egg replacer or anything equivalent to eggs but maybe far too much liquid. Hmm, I’ll check out your link for more tips. Really appreciate it!

6. Charlotte says:

I have the book “Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World” and I’ve made about 8 of the different recipes. I would absolutely put my cupcakes against any cruelty cuppies. Mine and light and fluffy and delicious. I had a stupendous FAIL with one recipe, but I think it was because the baking soda and baking powder were not as fresh as they should have been. However, I crumbled the cupcakes, added the icing to the mix, and ate it over vanilla vegan ice cream. OMG was that yummy! Don’t throw them away!!!

7. april says:

you can go buy some enjoy life double chocolate soft cookies (GFV)and make sandwiches with your yummy icing, to not let it go to waste, of course!

8. Jamie says:

Thank you April – all of this is news to me and such great advice – I’m gonna go exploring on the Bob’s Red Mill Mix front and see what I have in my pantry that I can mix and match with to make my cupcakes work .And yes, I find that people are often sensitive and wonderful about my own vegan needs so I try to return the favor whenever possible. 😉

9. Janna says:

I’m not sure but you can use these with your icing to make those cake pops. http://www.cakepopsrecipe.com/chocolate-cake-pops-with-sprinkles/
    I know vegan chocolate chips are hard to find sometimes though

10. Robyn says:

I modify traditional recipes by using EnerG egg replacer found in most natural markets.1 1/2 tsp plus 2 Tbsp water is equivalent to 1 egg. I have been new to vegan baking and have been quite successful so far. Vegweb.com has many great recipes for cupcakes